Mask clad and socially distant, Lynn and Rodney represent the new normal here at Caring House. “Our stay was terrific!" Lynn said of their week-long visit to Caring House. "We felt totally safe the entire time.” While this transition has been difficult for our staff to witness, it has made our community even stronger - firmly rooted in trust and the understanding that we will get through this together.
Our doors are now open at 50% capacity, along with the reopening of community spaces under strict social distancing limitations. Under the careful guidance of Duke Health, Caring House is taking every precaution necessary to ensure the safety and wellness of our immunocompromised guests, as well as that of our staff. Below, you will find the steps we are taking to ensure the safety and well-being of the entire house.
How we are Keeping the House Safe
At Caring House, we have always taken great pride in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for Duke Cancer Institute patients and their caregivers. Therefore, we are taking the following steps to increase this effort and reduce the risk of COVID-19 in our guests, volunteers and staff.
- We are monitoring temperatures and screening staff and guests for symptoms of COVID-19 every time they enter the house
- We are disinfecting frequently touched surfaces throughout with EPA-registered disinfectants
- We are only opening 9 rooms and our ABMT apartment at this point
- We have prohibited visitors (no one other than staff, guests, caregivers)
- The kitchen and dining room are open to only 2 families at one time
- Face masks are required at all times in common areas
How you can Help
- Make a Gift: We need your financial support now more than ever. Guest income makes up about 24% or our revenue. After being closed for nearly 3 months, we reopened on June 1st at 27% capacity. We have now opened to 50% of our capacity. The best way you can support our community is to continue your ongoing financial support. Consider making a monthly gift of any amount - your generosity goes directly toward providing a healing environment for Duke Cancer Institute patients and their caregivers by helping us maintain financial stability.
- Donate Individually Packaged Meals: While our kitchen may be closed, you can still donate individually packaged restaurant meals to our guests! Having restaurant-prepared meals available in the evening will help guests avoid having to go out for meals where their risk of exposure is heightened. This will also help ease the financial burden of their stay and provide the home away from home feeling that Caring House is known for. As an added bonus, you will also be providing much-needed business for local restaurants - like Chick-fil-A South Square and City Barbeque of Durham - both of whom are great supporters of Caring House! Please email Kat Kirschner for further information and available dates at firstname.lastname@example.org.