The Caring House team has been working diligently, under the guidance of Duke Health, to come up with a strategy to re-open a portion of the house in a safe and caring manner beginning June 1st. Below, you will find our plan for re-opening and the steps we are taking to ensure the safety and well-being of the entire house.
How we are Keeping the House Safe
At Caring House, we have always taken great pride in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for Duke Cancer Institute patients and their caregivers. Therefore, we are taking the following steps to increase this effort and reduce the risk of COVID-19 in our guests, volunteers and staff.
- We are monitoring temperatures and screening staff, volunteers and guests for symptoms of COVID-19 every time they enter the house
- We are disinfecting frequently touched surfaces throughout with EPA-registered disinfectants
- We are only opening 5 rooms and our ABMT apartment at this point
- We have prohibited visitors (no one other than staff, guests, caregivers)
- All community areas are currently closed
- Face mask required at all times in common areas
How you can Help
- Make a Gift: We need your financial support now more than ever. Guest income makes up about 24% or our revenue and we are reopening to 27% of our capacity. The best way you can support our community is to continue your ongoing financial support. Consider making a monthly gift of any amount - your generosity goes directly toward providing a healing environment for Duke Cancer Institute patients and their caregivers by helping us maintain financial stability.
- Donate Individually Packaged Meals: While our kitchen may be closed, you can still donate individually packaged restaurant meals to our guests! Having restaurant-prepared meals available in the evening will help guests avoid having to go out for meals where their risk of exposure is heightened. This will also help ease the financial burden of their stay and provide the home away from home feeling that Caring House is known for. As an added bonus, you will also be providing much-needed business for local restaurants - like Chick-fil-A South Square and City Barbeque of Durham - both of whom are great supporters of Caring House! Please email Kat Kirschner for further information and available dates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Guests: Contact Operations Manager, Kelly Mulhern at (919) 490-5449 ext. 120 or at email@example.com.
New Guests: Contact your social worker for a referral!